EASTERN CARIBBEAN TELECOMMUNICATIONS AUTHORITY (ECTEL)
POST OF GENERAL COUNSEL
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the post of General Counsel at the Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications Authority (ECTEL) based in Saint Lucia. The General Counsel is the principal legal adviser of the Authority.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide legal advice, interpretation and opinions on matters relating to effective Telecommunications Regulation.
- Provide legal advice to guide the decisions of the Board of Directors and Council of Ministers.
- Coordinate the drafting of model legislation.
- Advise of any breach of Telecommunications or other relevant legislation.
- Prepare and review draft, national, regional and international agreements.
- Participate in Senior Management meetings.
- Supervise the staff of the Legal Affairs Department.
- Prepare legal briefs, licenses, consultations and recommendations; contracts and other agreements as required by the Managing Director.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Law degree with Legal Education Certificate or equivalent.
- Post graduate degree/training in Telecommunications/Information Communications Technology (ICT) Law, or Business Law.
- Seven years practising experience, with at least five years in a senior supervisory position.
- Qualifications and experience in legislative drafting would be an asset.
- Demonstrable management/leadership capabilities.
- Results orientated and sound decision making ability
- Strategic leadership and management skills
- Team work and team building
- Influencing and partnering
- Comprehensive knowledge of corporate governance
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Performance management and resource management skills
- Working knowledge of mergers & acquisitions and competition law
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
The successful applicant will be offered a permanent position following the successful completion of the probation period.
The officer will be based at the Authority’s Headquarters in Saint Lucia, and will be entitled to a relocation grant and baggage allowance if recruited outside of the duty station.
The compensation package is set at Grade P5, is free of income tax, and includes housing and vehicle allowances.
Applications, with Curriculum Vitae, certified copies of certificates and names and contact details of two referees, marked “CONFIDENTIAL” – should be sent by mail or fax (758-451-6358) to: The Managing Director (Ag.), Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications Authority (ECTEL), P.O. Box 1886, Castries, Saint Lucia, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach no later than Friday 16th February, 2018.